Importance of Classification
1. To determine whether the felonies can be complexed or not.
2. To determine the prescription of the crime and of the penalty.
1. Grave felonies – afflictive penalties: 6 yrs. and 1 day to
reclusion perpetua (life)
2. Less grave felonies – correctional penalties: 1 month and 1
day to 6 years
3. Light felonies - arresto menor (1 day to 30 days)
As to the liability of the participants in a grave, less grave
or light felony:
1. When the felony is grave, or less grave, all participants are
2. But where the felony is only light, only the principal and
the accomplice are liable. The accessory is not.
Therefore, it is only when the light felony is against persons
or property that criminal liability attaches to the principal
or accomplice, even though the felony is only attempted or
frustrated, but accessories are not liable for light felonies.