How to be an SSS OFW member?

The SSS reaches out to all Filipinos abroad. For OFW's with existing
SSS numbers, there is no need to register again. You may proceed to
pay your SSS contribution using your existing SSS number and indicate
your existing status as an OFW member.

How To Secure An SSS Number As An OFW?

OFW who has not been issued an SSS number and are applying for
membership for the first time should follow this procedures
1. Obtain from the SSS the OW-1 form or overseas worker record.
   You may also download the OW-1 from from the SSS website.
2. When filling out the OW-1 form, follow the following:
   a. When filling out the form, please use black pen only.
   b. Below the field personal data,
      1) Write surname first, then your given name and lastly, your
         maiden name.
      2) Below it write your complete address.
      3) A space is also provided where you can write your address
      4) Don't forget to write the postal code in the space provided
      5) Write your date of birth numerically using the month, day
         and year format and write beside it your monthly salary
         in Philippine pesos
      6) Under membership applied for,check the box that points to
         the program you are applying for then check your civil status
      7) Write your place of birth and religion
      8) Indicate your phone number with its respective area code in
         the Philippines and abroad.
   c. Below the field entitled Beneficiaries
      1) Write the names of your father and mother and their date of
         birth. Write deceased if they are no longer living
      2) If you are married with children, you are also required to
         write their names and date of birth
      3) Check the column legitimate and/or incapacitated opposite
         the child's name if applicable
      4) In the field other beneficiaries, you need to write the name
         or names of the person whom you will designate as your
         beneficiary if you have no spouse, child or parent. Indicate
         their date of births and your relationship with them.
      5) Write "not applicable" to the field that does not apply to
      6) Lastly, Affix your signature at the certified correct portion
         of your OW-1 form as well as your left and right thumb mark
         at the opposite side.

3. After accomplishing the OW-1 form, you may now submit it to the SSS
   office near you in 2 copies together with the original or certified
   true copy and photo copy of the following supporting documents:
   a. Primary documents
      1) Birth certificate
      2) Baptismal certificate
      3) Passport
      4) PRC card
      5) Seaman's book

         In the absence of the above primary documents, submit any two
         of the following documents

   b. Secondary Documents
      1) Record of employment
      2) Employer ID
      3) Company ID
      4) Driver's license
      5) Postal ID
      6) NBI clearance
      7) Voter's ID
      8) School ID
      9) Credit card or ATM card with cardholder's name
      10)Bank account passbook
      11)OWWA card
      12)Fisherman's card issued by BFAR
      13)GSIS member's record
      14)Certification from National Archives
      15)Alien Certificate of Registration

4. Married person should also submit a marriage contract when applying
   for an OFW membership in the SSS

5. If the applicant has children, the original or certified true copy
   of birth or baptismal certificate of children and/or other pertinent
   documents should be submitted to the SSS for authentication purposes

6. For OFW's located in a country without SSS branch, submit your form
   through mail, e-mail or send a fax to the foreign branch expansion
   and monitoring department, SSS main building, Diliman, Quezon City

   You will be given a personal copy of this form wherein your lifetime
   SSS number is indicated

7. Your coverage will start upon first payment of your contribution

Note: You may visit the SSS website for any information.
      You may also e-mail SSS at member_relations@sss.gov.ph

Related Post:
1. How to file an SSS Maternity Notification?  
2. How to file an SSS Death Benefit Claim?